Tax form checklist: Do you have everything you need to file?

 A couple looking at a calculator surrounded by paperwork.

Whether you file your taxes on your own or work with a tax professional, it's important to ensure you have the appropriate documentation. Use this checklist as a guide to help you gather documents you may need to complete your income tax return.

Employment and income data

  • Employment income (T4 slip)
  • Tuition/education receipts (T2202A)
  • Interest, dividends and mutual funds (T3/Relevé 3, T5/ Relevé 16 and/or T5008 slips)

Government benefits

  • Employment insurance benefits (T4E slip)
  • Universal Child Care Benefit (RC62)
  • Old Age Security and CPP Benefits (T4A-OAS, T4AP)
  • Other pensions and annuities (T4A)
  • Social assistance payments (T5007)
  • Workers' compensation benefits (T5007)

Expense and contribution receipts

  • RRSP contribution receipts
  • Rental income and expense receipts
  • Charitable donations
  • Political contributions
  • Support for a child, spouse or common-law partner
  • Professional or union dues
  • Medical expenses
  • Transit pass receipts
  • Child care expenses
  • Adoption expenses
  • Children’s arts and sports programs
  • Moving expenses
  • Interest paid on student loans
  • Carrying charges and interest expenses
  • Office - in-home expenses
  • Exams for professional certification

Other documentation

  • Notice of Assessment/Reassessment
  • CRA correspondence

Important information:

Not every item will apply to your situation. This checklist is only a guide and is not designed to be an exhaustive list of items that warrant consideration. Edward Jones, its employees and financial advisors cannot provide tax or legal advice. You should consult your lawyer or qualified tax professional regarding your situation.