Living benefits insurance
There's nothing more important than protecting you and family's well-being. That's why we offer many types of insurance, along with the guidance to help you choose the insurance that would best provide for you and your family – with adequate financial resources in the event of the unexpected.
Protect your financial strategy for life's unexpected events. Edward Jones financial advisors offer a variety of living benefit insurance choices.
Disability insurance provides tax-free monthly income if an individual is unable to work due to a serious injury or illness. This type of insurance is suitable for you if you are under age 60 with employment income and have insufficient liquid assets to sustain a loss of income due to a disabling injury or sickness.
Disability insurance features
- Monthly benefit amount – Generally up to 70% of employment income.
- Waiting period – This is the period of time when no benefits are payable, usually 30 to 180 days.
- Benefit period – This is the length of time when benefits are payable, beginning when the waiting period ends and generally payable until age 65, depending on the contract.
- Waiver of premium – This built-in feature enables the premium to be waived after 90 days of disability.
- Renewal provision – Indicates under what circumstances the policy can be renewed and if premiums can be raised. The most liberal definition is "Non-cancelable Guaranteed Renewable," which means the policy can be canceled only due to nonpayment of premium and the premium cannot be increased.
Critical illness insurance
Critical illness insurance provides a tax-free lump-sum of cash, usually 30 days after the diagnosis of life-altering illnesses such as a heart attack, stroke or cancer. You can use this insurance to help pay costs associated with illness, offset lost income, eliminate debts, and pay for day-to-day expenses, or to seek alternative treatment after suffering a life-altering illness.
Critical illness insurance features
- Guaranteed premiums – Once your policy is approved, your premiums are set out and guaranteed in your policy.
- Choice of plans – Flexibility is built into the program to provide you a choice of temporary and/or permanent coverage plans to meet your specific needs.
- Return of premium – You can add a feature that guarantees you a tax-free refund of premiums paid, if the policy expires, or if you die while the policy is in force and you have not made a claim for critical illness insurance.
Long-term care insurance
Long-term care insurance provides a tax-free weekly benefit for long-term care services when two of the regular activities of daily living can no longer be performed (bathing, maintaining continence, eating, dressing, walking and transferring, and toileting). You can use this insurance to help offset costs incurred for long-term health care received whether in a facility or in the home.
Long-term care insurance features
- Weekly benefit amount – Generally pays between a minimum and a maximum per week of care, depending on the contract.
- Maximum benefit limit – This is the period of time that daily benefits will be payable. Periods typically range from about two years to unlimited.
How we can help
At Edward Jones, we can help you reach your financial goals. Contact your Edward Jones financial advisor.
Insurance and annuities are offered by Edward Jones Insurance Agency (except in Québec). In Québec, insurance and annuities are offered by Edward Jones Insurance Agency (Québec) Inc.